Do you want to quote and add shipping costs at the time of your customer’s order? Do you need to charge sales tax, and a single flat rate configured for the catalog just won’t do? If you answered YES to either of these questions, the enhanced shopping cart is for you! Read on for quick setup instructions.
The shopping cart is chock-full of options and settings that let you get very specific with how you charge for shipping and tax. We don’t want to make assumptions about which features you will use and how, so we’ve left some of the setup for you. This guide is designed to help you through the basic steps to get ecommerce checkout up and running. You can always fine tune it anytime.
To get started, log into your Springboard and click My Website and Website Settings. Click Shopping Cart.
Checkout & General Configuration (4:40)
1. Specify the Countries in which you do business.
The United States is specified by default, so you can skip this step if you only do business in the US!
- Click General Configuration.
- In the Ecommerce Countries section, select the country or countries in which you will be shipping and/or charging tax, including your own.
- Click Add Row and select each country.
- Click Save & Finish at the bottom of the screen.
2. Choose your Tax setting.
Tax (8 min)
- Will you be charging sales tax? If NO, skip ahead to step 3. Your work here is done!
- If YES, then click Tax in the Shopping Cart Overview and then Tax Settings.
How will you charge tax?
2a. Basic Tax: If your answer to that is something like, “Each of my customers pays a flat rate of x%,” on the Tax Settings screen:
- Choose Basic.
- Choose whether to apply tax to shipping costs.
- Click Save, then exit the tax area.
2b. Tax Calculator: If your answer is something like, “My customers are all over the country, so they pay different tax rates based on which location they are ordering from,” on the Tax Settings screen:
- Choose Tax Calculator.
- Choose whether tax will be calculated based on the customer’s billing address or based on the shipping address they enter.
- Choose whether to apply tax to shipping costs.
- Click Save.
NOTE: Use of the Tax Calculator requires at least one zone and rule in order to calculate and apply the appropriate rate to the order. Do this in the Tax Zones & Rates section. See Setting up the Tax Calculator for instructions on how to add a Tax Zone and add a Tax Rule.
3. Add Shipping Rates and Activate Shipping Method Step in Checkout.
Custom Shipping (7:45)
Shipping with FedEx/UPS (6 min)
- Do you want to calculate and display shipping rates and add them to your customer’s order? If NO, move on to step 4.
- If YES, click Shipping on the Shopping Cart overview and prepare to be more specific.
3a. Ship via FedEx or UPS. Do you want to display real-time shipping quotes from FedEx or UPS? If NO, proceed to 3b. If YES, follow these steps:
- Click Shipping Origin address and complete the Address Info fields.
- Click Shipping Carriers and then click FedEx or UPS.
- Complete the fields with information from your shipping account. Select the Shipping Methods you'll offer.
- NOTES: Be sure Use in Test Mode is set to No in order to make it active on your website. FedEx and UPS shipping quotes are based on weight, so ensure weights are entered in the details for your Catalog Items, in the Shipping section. If you will be using only FedEx or UPS rates (no custom carriers), skip ahead to 3c.
3b. Custom shipping. Do you want to use your own custom shipping rates? If NO, proceed to step 3c. If YES, follow these steps:
- Add at least one Shipping Zone
- Add a Custom Shipping Carrier
- Add Shipping Methods
- Configure the Type and corresponding Rules
- If you create a Method with rules based on Weight of items in the order, ensure weights are entered in the catalog item details.
- If you create a Method with rules based on order Price, ensure prices are entered in the catalog item details.
- Set your Shipping Methods and your Shipping Carrier to Yes for Is this method/carrier active? so the shipping rates display to your customer during checkout.
See Adding custom shipping options to online orders
for detailed instructions.3c.
Configure the Shipping Method Step
in Checkout Process.
- Click Checkout Process in the Shopping Cart Overview screen.
- Do you want to allow your customers to ship to a different address than the billing address? If NO, continue to 3d. If YES, click Billing & Shipping Address Step and choose Yes to Allow customers to ship orders to an address other than the billing address and continue with step 3d.
3d. Display Shipping rates in Checkout Process.
- Click Shipping Method Step in the Checkout Process menu.
- Choose Yes to Display Shipping Method Step and additional options appear.
- Choose Yes or No to Do you want your customers to be able to continue placing their order if no shipping rates are returned?
- Update the corresponding No Rates Returned error message that displays (optional).
4. Activate credit card payments.
- Do you want to collect payment via credit card at the time of order? If NO, move on to step 5.
- If YES, click Payment Method Step in the Checkout Process. Choose Yes to Accept Payments via Payment Gateway
- Select PaymentSpring or other gateway on the gateway list.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
5. Activate email response and notification messages.
Email Messages (4 min)
- Click Email Messages on the Shopping Cart Overview screen. We’ve provided a default Order Response, Order Notification and Shipment Shipped Notification.
- Click the message title to modify each one you wish to use.
- Choose Yes for Is Message Active?
- Click Save & Finish.
6. Activate Ecommerce checkout where you want to use it.
To activate ecommerce checkout for a specific catalog, whether inside or outside of a portal, click My Website, then Website Content and go to the page where the catalog exists.
- Click the gear icon for the catalog content and Edit Checkout Method.
- Choose Ecommerce.
- Click Save.
Congratulations! Ecommerce checkout is now active on your website!
Here are some other things to consider in your fine-tuning of this checkout process:
- Each User account screen has a Does this user pay tax? option. Choose Yes and Tax Class or choose No.
- Each Catalog Item details screen has an Is this item taxable? option. Choose Yes and Tax Class or choose No.
- Your Catalog Item details must include prices in order to do any of the following at the time of your customer’s order: calculate sales tax, calculate custom shipping rates based on price, process a credit card payment.
- Turn on Message Tracking Numbers for orders placed through the ecommerce checkout: Click General Configuration on the Shopping Cart Overview screen. In the Order Management section, choose the Message tracking number type. Click Save & Finish.